In 1759, after the Battle of Quebec, Colonel John Hale from the 47th Foot was granted permission to raise a Light Dragoon Regiment. So, by the end of the year, he formed the 18th Light Dragoons Regiment, that after entering into service in Germany in 1761, was renamed as the 17th Light Dragoons.
Dragoons regiments typically consisted of mounted infantry. That means that they were very versatile units, highly suited for combat against irregular enemy units and rough terrain. These characteristics would prove very useful in the new upcoming war that the British were about to fight against the Thirteen Colonies in America.
The regiment saw combat in several early battles of the war like Bunker Hill, Long Island or White Plains, before becoming part in 1781 of the famous Tarleton Legion, under the command of Colonel Barnastre Tarleton. Attached to it, they participated in several other battles until the end of the war in 1783. An officer of this regiment, Captain Stapleton, had the distinction of notifying the end of hostilities in person to George Washington.
Our figure wears the distinctive uniform of the unit, including the cap with the death’s head emblem (in honor to the death of General James Wolfe in Quebec) and carries the characteristic carbine used by these troops.